www.justgiving.com/martin-sunshine-ride

Please give generously to help me raise funds for the Rays of Sunshine Children's Charity (Charity No. 1102529). Thankyou.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Fun in the sun

Swam 1500m on Thursday night and then a big ride on Saturday as Wilf was at Eden for the day. Glorious weekend with temperature up to 27 degrees and a brisk south easterly but cloudless skies. Broke my chain tool trying to remove a link so had to persist as is with a few brake adjustments after last weekends Cornwall Tour.

Rode to Ashburton, Haytor, down and round to Mannaton and back over to Ashburton. Then up to Holne, Hexworthy and Princetown. How did the 2 guys overtake me so speedily dropping down to Ashburton? Nerves of steel! Re-charged with drink at Princetown and a call to Gill to say I'd be home at 2.30 pm (Ooops) and then it was 52mph down Pork Hill before turning to Horrabridge, a round of Burrator and home. Great day of 80miles much of which was over Dartmoor classic roads on which I must now practice. My target for the classic is to complete the 103miles in under 8hrs 20mins so that I get a bronze otherwise it's a mere chunk of granite! My timing on this ride was bang on but there's no slack for mechanical hiccups so I need to practice a bit of speed.

Brakes on the bike will need changing soon and its a new chain tool for me. Terrific day as on checking the blackberry at Princetown my JustGiving site had shot up £500 in the morning. Thankyou. You know who you are. Made up for only 6 attendees at the 'Come Dine With Me' session though after lunch on Friday the total was £25 better off than before lunch.

Sunday spent on the beach with kids so we're all fried after tennis, cricket, swimming etc. Saw an adder for the first time there as it slid over the path.

Cycling to work tomorrow and then hopefully an evening ride on Tuesday. need to pack the miles in this week as I'm home and Gill is away next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment